Monday, March 19, 2007

I have to FEED my child too?

Today was my first day at my new job! I am now a lunch cashier at the local intermediate school (5th and 6th graders.) I've subbed there a handful of times as a server - I get a call maybe twice a month tops to come in for a few hours, fill trays with food, and hand them over to children. But three hours of work a couple times a month doesn't buy much, and when a regular position opened up I jumped at the chance to apply.

It being my first day, I merely "shadowed" another cashier today - stood by and watched her operate the register, helping restock items as needed and just a-larnin'. It's pretty straightforward, touch screen register (I HATE that, but hey). I did learn a few interesting things above and beyond the mechanics of the job:

1. Pre-adolescents find it impossible to keep track of their lunch cards.

2. A surprising number of children perpetually allow their accounts to dip way into the red before bringing in just enough money to catch up; and

3. A surprising percentage of children are on the reduced/free lunch program.

But at least most of these children ARE being provided for by their parents...one hapless young girl, when informed that her account was overdrawn (she got lunch anyway, though, the school never lets them go hungry), told us she was hoping to get caught up soon when she had more babysitting money in. Hel-LO?! After she left I said to the cashier, "What parent makes their 5th grader pay for her own food?" "You'd be surprised," the cashier muttered back to me.

I mean really. Given how many kids were on the reduced/free program there, the income requirements can't be that strict. Sign her up. And if you DO make too much money to qualify for that, then try giving up crack one day a week and PROVIDE LUNCH FOR YOUR CHILD.

Sheesh.

No comments: