Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Flashin' for Jesus

I stopped in at my local convenience store/gas station today. As I stood at the counter, preparing to pay for my purchases, I was approached by an elderly man. He was seventy if he was a day, wearing an oversized jacket and a grin that said if he had any teeth, they were still sitting on his nightstand somewhere. He got up close, leaned casually on the counter, and in a manner reminiscent of a flasher whipped open his jacket. What the hell? And lo, he was wearing a black T-shirt with huge white lettering that said:

SATAN SUCKS

Then he began to giggle. And giggle, and utter that particular sort of guffaw that is usually the demesne of the Special Needs kid. I was utterly nonplussed.

"Well! How about that. That's a very...straightforward shirt." Okay, so I had no idea what to say. And I don't believe in Satan. And I certainly don't want to get into a theological discussion with an eccentric guffawing stranger. He continued to simply stand there, looking expectantly at me and grinning, while I completed my transaction, then I bid him farewell and left. As I got into my car, I found that I was grinning myself.

I thought, if that wasn't a blog moment, I don't know what is. And to tell the truth, I didn't mind a bit. It was an interesting moment in an otherwise ordinary day.