Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To

The new tradition of occasionally rewarding debit card use with little free rewards is growing...largely because we continue to have useless stuff to get rid of. Apparently they did it again yesterday while I was off serving at the elementary school. Prize of the day: paper cars.

No, really. Apparently it was some sort of promotional swag given to us by one of our pizza suppliers. It consisted of large stacks of perforated 3x5 cards which, when punched out and folded in a few places, made crappy paper toy cars with the Tony's Pizza logo on them. Whee!

There was still a fairly large stack of them sitting by my register today, which I neither actively promoted nor withheld. If any kid asked for one, or said "Hey, I wish I'd gotten one of those yesterday," I handed one over. Or two, or three. Have fun, kids, create your own Tony's Pizza convoy!

But I wasn't asked very often, and the matter drifted to the back of my mind, thus leading to possibly the most confusing conversation I've had with a student.

One of my favorite kids (yes, I have favorite kids. Don't tell them.) came up to me, an owlish bespectacled gamer kid who liked to occasionally chat with me over the newest Guitar Hero or Xbox 360 games. He asked me if he could have a new card.

"Sure," I said. "But it costs three dollars."

Blink. Blink. Then he giggled. "Good one. Really, though, can I have one?"

"Of course. But you have to bring in three dollars."

He continued to look at me with an uncomfortable smirk, a half-smile that said she must be kidding, but when will she drop it? He reached out uncertainly and gave me a playful punch on the arm. "No, really. I dropped mine yesterday, and someone stepped on it and it broke into pieces."

I was utterly baffled. This was usually a pretty smart kid who knew the drill. What wasn't he getting? And also, your debit card is that fragile? "Look, I don't make the rules. I'm sorry, but you know if you lose your card, you need to bring me three dollars so that I can order a new one for you."

Understanding spread over his face. "Car," he said. "Those little cars she was giving out yesterday. Can I have another one?"

Ooooohhhhh! Go me. Embarrassed, I reached behind me and handed him a couple of punch-out cars. "Sorry man. You know I wasn't here yesterday!" I laughed.

Three dollars, for a car in danger of falling to pieces if stepped on? Silly lunchlady.

No comments: