Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"Magically" delicious? Perhaps not.

I love that kid of mine. He's often on his own little planet, coming back from it with thoughts and tales that make no sense to me...but he's an independent thinker and a natural skeptic, and I love the conversations we have.

As I prepared dinner this evening he was off in the living room watching his favorite program, The Fairly Oddparents. It's a Nickelodeon show, which means that during the commercial breaks he is bombarded by hyper sensational commercials for (1) toys, (2) incredibly sugary breakfast cereals coveted by cartoon animals, and (3) snack foods that are designed to be "gross", highly portable (Ooo! Yogurt in a TUBE!), or turn your tongue rainbow colors.

So he walked into the kitchen during one such break and said, "That's ridiculous. Trix wants me to buy their 'new and improved' cereal that's soooo great....all they did was make the cereal into different shapes now!"

Me: "Well sweetie, welcome to the wonderful world of marketing!"

Duncan: "I know! They just want to make more money."

No comments: