Friday, April 13, 2007

Accio game!

This could be promising...a good use for the Wii's new approach. I know a lot of folks like the Wii - my husband, for one, ran out and purchased it - but I've been a big holdout. I gave it a try for the sake of the lovely new Zelda game (I have always been a devoted follower of the Zelda series, particularly after it went 3D on the N64), but I found the control system awkward. And frankly, I don't care if it seems more 'realistic'. I don't want to slash away as though I were really swinging a sword, I want to sink into my couch with the controller in my lap. So there.

But Harry Potter...I can see how that could be a lot of fun. No, I may not feel cooler actually swinging a 'sword', or a 'tennis racket', or waving the Wiimote around as I perform 'surgery' (though this was the most interesting use of the controls so far). But I don't care how old you are. If you are a fan of the J.K. Rowling books, you want to go to Hogwarts. You want to hang out with Harry and Hermione and Ron, you want to play Quidditch, you want to wear robes and be Sorted and transfigure snails into teapots. It took me, a fully-grown woman with a child of her own, a while to admit this. Yet when Duncan Disorderly requested a Harry Potter-themed birthday party this year, I got more into it than he did! I spent months filling little glass spice jars with 'potions' ingredients, sewing robes, printing House badges, acquiring Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans online. Go ahead, laugh away. I'm not alone.

I don't play games often the way I used to, but I may have to give this one a try when it comes out this July. That is, if I'm not too busy reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

No comments: