Friday, May 18, 2007

When come back, bring pie

For a man who loves to tease that our child is the mailman's son, my husband sure has a reliable little protege at times.

The other night, I was IM'ing back and forth with an old friend, who happened to mention during our conversation that his wife had just brought him a slice of pie at the computer. I relayed this tidbit of information to my own spouse when he idly asked me who I was chatting with.

"Where's my pie?" he asked.

"I don't have any pie for you. I only said that my friend has pie."

"I heard 'pie'. I think you promised pie."

Flash forward to last night. While making dinner, I realized I had forgotten one important ingredient and would have to run to the store in the middle of cooking. (sigh) I let the boys know I was making a quick trip to the store. "You're getting pie too, right?" queried my husband.

"Ermm...."

"You mentioned pie last night. You got my hopes all up. Need pie!"

Duncan perked up, as if on cue. "You're getting pie?!"

"I didn't say that! I never promised pie!"

Duncan, with great vaudevillian flourish: "What's that? You promised PIE?!"

Partners in crime, those two. Pie, anyone?
(P.S. Bonus points if you recognize the title reference.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! In most states, Ohio included, mentioning the word "pie" constitutes a contractual obligation to provide it to the person you mentioned it to.

It's in civil code mumble mumble.